Well everyone, fall is in full swing at this point! The weather is cooler, the leafs are changing and EVERYTHING is pumpkin! Me on the other hand, I’m currently under every blanket I own. I shall resume normal human functions come spring.
But the great thing about fall. Comfort food (insert little kid smile followed by a happy dance!). I love comfort food and love cooking it even more. SO today chicken and rice soup!
- 2lbs of boneless skinless chicken
- 2 stalks of celery
- 3 carrots
- 2 cups of white rice
- 10 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 3 tsp of garlic
- 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning
- 1 medium onion
- 2 bay leafs
- chicken bouillon (in case you run out of chicken broth like I did)
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- First take the chicken and cut it into bite size pieces. Heat oil on medium high heat. While the oil is heating up season the chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
2.Add chicken to oil and cook for about 10-15 mins. Chicken does not need to be fully cooked. When chicken has browned a bit, remove chicken leaving dripping behind in the pan.
3. As the chicken is cooking you should cut up carrots, celery and onions. Place veggie into the pan, add a pinch of salt. Let them soften. I left them in for about 10 mins then added the garlic and cooked until fragrant. Finally I added the rice and let it toast up for about a minute or two.
4. Lastly add the chicken broth and return the chicken to the pan. Reduce heat down to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes. In Puerto Rico I always my grandmother making soup that was thicker and the rice was so soft. At 45 minutes I turn off the heat but leave the pot on the hot burner and in about an hour I have my perfect, thick soup.
Hope everyone likes this and as always STAY GORGEOUS!!!
**Side note: starting October I will be doing give-a-ways! In order to be in the running for these you must sign up and subscribe to my blog 🙂 Please sign up below! Thanks so much too that have supported me. It means so much!**